Wednesday, January 15, 2014

love the questions

What do you do when you have no answers?  Seems like I rang in 2014 without that still, certain voice of "I know this to be true."  And each little question seems to open the door to more and more questions until my thoughts are just one incredibly long grammatically incorrect run on sentence.
Ugh.

Several friends have graciously listened to my emotional thought vomit over the past couple of weeks and kindly passed along encourging inspiration to my overarching blah-ness.  Topics included a devotion detailing "one of the most remarkable capacities of the human mind...the capacity to direct its own attention to something it chooses..." and an article that begins "Everybody wants what feels good..." and continues to propose to flip this want on its head and dig deeper into "...what pain do you want?  What are you willing to struggle for?  Because that seems to be a greater determinant of how our lives end up."

So with all mulling over of these general themes floating around amongst the specific questions, I have to stop and be still.  I have to stop and be still because, I know truth is found in the stillness.  Once I finally exercised the capacity of my mind to look past these surface questions and dig deeper into the underlying fears driving those questions, then the questions became a conversation. 

What a beautiful evolution!  I am reminded of some sage advice from Rainer Maria Rilke in his Letters to a Young Poet:

"I would like to beg you dear Sir, as well as I can, to have patience with everything unresolved in your heart and to try to love the questions themselves as if they were locked rooms or books written in a very foreign language. Don’t search for the answers, which could not be given to you now, because you would not be able to live them. And the point is to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps then, someday far in the future, you will gradually, without even noticing it, live your way into the answer."
 

No comments:

Post a Comment